What is the BTOP? BTOP (Broadband Technology Opportunities Program) grants are made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (aka Stimulus) and are administered by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration ( NTIA ) under the Department of Commerce.
There is $4.7 billion allocated for the program. After sub programs, there is about $4 billion available for grants. NTIA has made no announcements and speculation goes that the minimum grant might be $5 million.
Various groups/companies can apply for the grants including; public entities (municipalities, school districts, states, counties, etc), non-profits, and private entities (telecommunications service providers, ISPs, WISPs, tower companies, etc).
The BTOP grants represent a significant opportunity for small to medium businesses to engage in broadband wireless at no cost with respect to spectrum.
However, only the best grant applications, which represent new innovative uses for broadband wireless spectrum and provide a public benefit will be chosen.
What is needed to apply is:
- Partners to pursue the goals of the BTOP (education, healthcare, public safety)
- Business plan detailing how you will meet those goals
- Engineering study
- Detailed cost estimate
Mind Commerce and the BTOP Grants
Mind Commerce offers a BTOP Grant Application Support Package that enables service providers, municipalities and other grant applicants to quickly and accurately write a technology-detailed, application-specific grant application to fund a WiMAX network in their unserved or underserved market.
At the core of the BTOP Grant Application Support Package is the Template for BTOP Grant Application Business Plan, which is an 85 page template for a business plan to support a Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) grant application.
The BTOP Grant Application Support Package also includes the following:
- WiMAX RFP (15 pages PDF)
- Softswitch RFP (26 pages PDF)
- WiMAX Business Planning Tool (Excel spreadsheet)
- WiMAX in Support of Education (84 pages PDF)
- WiMAX in Support of Healthcare (51 pages PDF)
- WiMAX in Support of Public Safety (24 pages PDF)
- WiMAX in Support of Job Creation and Economic Development (78 pages PDF)
- Wireless Backhaul as Middle Mile Infrastructure for WiMAX Networks (35 pages PDF)
For more information see:
Resources for more information about BTOP Grants:
BTOP Grant Application Template Package
NTIA on BTOP Grants